First bat records in the Simien Mountains (Northern Ethiopia)
Kruskop S.V., Lavrenchenko L.A.
No any bat records were known previously from the Simien Mountains National Park (Northern Ethiopia) while two bat species were reported from the Simien foothills. During the work of Ethiopian-Russian Biological Expedition two bat species were captured at the elevation of ca. 3250 m. Males of Pipistrellus from the “kuhlii” species group were captured or observed several times in anthropogenous landscapes. According to multivariate analysis these pipistrelles are similar to P. cf. kuhlii from southern part of the country and to P. hesperidus. One captured female of Laephotis wintoni represents most northern and highest elevation record of the genus.DOI: 10.15298/rusjtheriol.5.2.02
- Kingdon J. 1974. East African Mammals. An Atlas of Evolution in Africa. Vol. II. part A (Insectivores and Bats). London and New York: Academic Press. 340 p.
- Kock D. 2001. Identity of the African Vespertilio hesperida Temminck 1840 (Mammalia, Chiroptera, Vespertilionidae) // Senckenbergiana Biologica. Vol.81. P.277-283.
- Largen M.J., Kock D. & Yalden D.W. 1974. Catalogue of the mammals of Ethiopia. I. Chiroptera // Monitore Zoologico Italiano. N.S. Supplemento. Vol.16. P.221-298.
- Lavrenchenko L.A., Kruskop S.V. & Morozov P.N. 2004. Notes on the bats (Chiroptera) collected by the Joint Ethiopian-Russian Biological Expedition, with remarks on their systematics, distribution and ecology // Bonner Zoologische Beitrage. Vol.52. No.1/2. P.127-147.
- Nievergelt B., Good T. & Guttinger R. (eds.) 1998. A survey on the flora and fauna of the Simen Mountains National Park, Ethiopia // Walia, Special issue. P.1-109.
- Peterson R.L. 1971. Notes on the African long-eared bats of the genus Laephotis (family Vespertilionidae) // Canadian Journal of Zoology. Vol.49. No.6. P.885-888.
- Peterson R.L. 1973. The first known female of the African long-eared bat Laephotis wintoni (Vespertilionidae: Chiroptera) // Canadian Journal of Zoology. Vol.51. No.6. P.601-603.