Breeding under snow cover in Norway rats (Rattus norvegicus) on uninhabited islands in Hokkaido, Japan
Yabe T., Minato R., Hashimoto T.
We analyzed age distribution of Norway rats (Rattus norvegicus) on uninhabited islands, Yururi (168 ha) and Moyururi (31 ha) in the subarctic climate zone in Hokkaido, Japan. Age was estimated from eye lens weight. From the age distribution of 73 rats caught in July–August 2013, we found that 10 rats of them were born under the snow cover from December to March.DOI: 10.15298/rusjtheriol.16.1.04
- Bourlière F. 1964. The Natural History of Mammals. Parshley H. M. (trans.). New York: Alfred A. Knopf. 387 p.
- Donaldson H.H. & King H.D. 1937. On the growth of the eye in three strains of the Norway rat // The American Journal of Anatomy. Vol.60. P.203–229.
- Errington P.L. 1935. Wintering of field-living Norway rats in south-central Wisconsin // Ecology. Vol.16. P.122–123.
- Inukai T. 1939. [Outbreak of Norway rats and damage by the rats in Karafuto (Sakhalin)] // Plants and Animals. Vol.7. P.57–70 [in Japanese].
- Inukai T. 1942. [Outbreak of Norway rats in Karafuto (Sakhalin) and review of the control measures] // Journal of Agriculture and Forestry Society of Sapporo. Vol.34. No.3. P.1–13 [in Japanese].
- Kucera E. & Fuller W.A. 1978. A winter study of small rodents in aspen parkland // Journal of Mammalogy. Vol.59. P.200–204.
- Maeda M. 1977. [Flowering, fruiting and withering of Sasa-bamboo, and rodents] // Sapporo Rin-Yu. No.188. P.43–54 [in Japanese].
- Miyao T., Akahane H., Sakai A., Ohishi Y., Nishino T. & Yanagidaira Y. 1964. Small mammals on Shiga Height in Japan, 1. Seasonal differences of capture rate, sex ratio, body weight and reproduction in rat (Rattus norvegicus) // Bulletin of Institute of Biology, Shiga Heights (Shinshu University). Vol.3. P.1–10 [in Japanese, with English summary].
- Paul E. 2010. The Rat Island eradication project: a critical evaluation of nontarget mortality. Maryland: Ornithological Council. 85 p.
- Russell J.C., Towns D.R. & Clout M.N. 2008. Review of rat invasion biology: implications for island biosecurity. Science for Conservation 286. Wellington: Department of Conservation. 53 p.
- Schiller E.L. 1956. Ecology and health of Rattus at Nome, Alaska // Journal of Mammalogy. Vol.37. P.181–188.
- Stump W.Q., Jr. & Anthony R.G. 1983. Use of eye lens protein for estimating age of Microtus pennsylvanicus // Journal of Mammalogy. Vol.64. P.697–700.
- Tamanuki K. 1944. [Damage by second outbreak of Norway rats in South Karafuto (Sakhalin)] // [Technical Report of Karafuto Central Agricultural Experimental Station]. 20 p. [in Japanese].
- Vander Wall S.B. 1990. Food Hoarding in Animals. Chicago and London: University of Chicago Press. 445 p.
- Whitney P. & Feist D. 1984. Abundance and survival of Clethrionomys rutilus in relation to snow cover in a forested habitat near college, Alaska // Merritt J.F. (ed.). Winter Ecology of Small Mammals. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania: Carnegie Museum of Natural History. P.113–119.
- Wild Bird Society of Japan. 2006. [Important bird area in Japan, Yururi, Moyururi islets]. [in Japanese]. www. wbsj.org/nature/hogo/others/iba/search/sites/hokkaido/14-yururi.htm. Accessed 29 July 2016.
- Yabe T. 1979a. Eye lens weight as an age indicator in the Norway rat // Journal of Mammalogical Society of Japan. Vol.8. P.54–55.
- Yabe T. 1979b. The relation of food habits to the ecological distributions of the Norway rat (Rattus norvegicus) and the roof rat (R. rattus) // Japanese Journal of Ecology. Vol.29. P.235–244.
- Yabe T. 1994. Fat deposits for wintering in the Norway rat, Rattus norvegicus // Journal of Mammalogical Society of Japan. Vol.19. P.129–133.
- Yabe T., Otomo T., Harashima T., Shigeoka H. & Yamaguchi K. 2016. Breeding season in urban population of Norway rats in Yokohama estimated from age composition // Medical Entomology and Zoology. Vol.67. P.199–202 [in Japanese, with English abstract].
- Yabe T., Horikoshi K. & Hashimoto T. 2017. Small mass of Rattus norvegicus (Rodentia: Muridae) on the Ogasawara Islands, Japan // Pacific Science. Vol.71 [in press].