Development and activities of a local beaver Castor fiber albicus population in the vicinity of Dessau, Germany in 1998–2006
The beaver territories and the beaver activities in the vicinity of Dessau, Germany were observed from 1998 to 2006. Due to the utilisation of the capacities of the natural environment (particularly the ever scarcer food resources) there were no significant increases in numbers found in the investigation area. The population has already exceeded its maximum growth limit. There is no reproduction in some family beaver sites for two or even three years. High-water periods, wild boar (Sus scrofa) activities and anthropogenic interferences (removal of shrubs, tearing down of beaver dams) have made negative impacts on the beaver population. The influence of an area-covering occurrence of American mink (Neovison vison) on beaver reproduction could not yet be verified. The migration of beavers into water bodies close to the city was observed after the flood in 2002. Proposals are made for protective measures that would make a positive impact on the beaver population.DOI: 10.15298/rusjtheriol.10.2.04
- Nitsche K.-A. 1994. Beziehungen zwischen Bibern (Castor fiber) und Wildschweinen (Sus scrofa) // Sдugetierkundliche Mitteilungen. Vol.35. No.2. S.1-5.
- Nitsche K.-A. 2001a. Beaver-lodges: long-term observations in a flooded area northeastern near by Dessau // Sдugetierkundliche Informationen. Vol.5. Heft 25. S.93-98.
- Nitsche K.-A. 2001b. Behaviour of beavers (Castor fiber albicus Matschie, 1907) during flood periods // Czech A. & Schwab G. (eds.). The European beaver in a new millennium. Proceedings of the 2nd European beaver symposium, 27-30 September 2000, Bialowieza, Poland. Krakуw: Carpathian Heritage Society, P.85-90.
- Nitsche K.-A. 2003a. Beavers Castor fiber albicus and highwater flood-behaviour and measures // Mammalian Biology - Zeitschrift fьr Sдugetierkunde. Vol.68. Suppl. P.49.
- Nitsche K.-A. 2003b. Elbebiber in und um Dessau // Dessauer Kalender. No.47. S.30-37.